View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
Mark_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Get your braking done before turn-in or trail brake if you know how. Heel and toe if you have to downshift. Corner entry should be at a constant speed and mid-range rpm's. Try not to brake in the middle of the corner as it will upset the balance of the car - better to enter the corner too slow rather than too fast. A late apex always helps corner exit speed. Maintain speed, turn in, let the car roll and feel the suspension set; then throttle steer through mid-corner. Get back on the throttle to accelerate out of the corner and start to unwind the steering wheel as early as possible as you begin corner exit. Don't forget to use the entire width of the lane/road to allow the car to track out (to the extent possible). All the while, be aware of sand, gravel, and other road debris that might affect grip and adjust your line and control inputs accordingly.

That's it. Easy breezy.

If you really want to learn drive well, go to a local trackday and have an instructor ride along with you. You will learn the proper techniques, go faster than you ever could on the street, and have more fun than you ever thought possible.

I did a club/dealer-sponsored DE this spring with Porsche instructors (Kees Nierop and Jonathon Urlin) and this is exactly how they taught me to do it. Brake hard before the turn and go in slow, keep about 10% on the throttle through the middle part, and then ease on to full throttle (don't stomp it) on the way out. It took me about half the day to realize that I was trying to maintain too much speed going into the turn and I improved dramatically after that. The part that really stuck with me was how you use the front wheels to steer into the turn and the rear wheels to rotate the car out of it. It feels amazing when it works - major grin factor!