View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I got the engine light for the dreaded dying catalytic converter P0430.

I have a CA smog inspection due by Nov.

I tried the "Guaranteed to Pass" fuel additive. No Luck.

I tried replacing the down steam sensor even though I could see on the Durametric that it was following the upstream voltage sine wave instead of a strait line as it should be, indicating the CAT is dead. No Luck.

I only have that P0430 code so its not likely anything else.

I discovered that there are electronic devices that emulate a proper functioning downsteam sensor for a good CAT, but if a tailpipe sniffer test is used and they stick the probe in the passenger side exhaust they will likely detect excessive emissions.

However I could reinstall the downstream CATs and it would likely pass with the Electronic cheat (~$70).

But in the end its an inconvenience to reinstall the rear CATs every 2 years.

So it would be better to buy a replacement passenger side Header CAT.

I suppose I could buy a used one, which I prefer at this point to save some bucks, or I could bite the bullet and buy a new ~$1800 CAT.

Are there any other options I have overlooked?

Does anyone know of a used one for sale?

What is the best price/site for buying a new CAT?
The price on new cats are going to make your eyes water, so I would consider used cats out of a wreck. We have installed several sets of these for customers and had great results. Check the boneyards in your area for price and availability.