Thread: Boxster Died
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
jeeper31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
It was so sudden, that's my first thought too. Pump relay. Could also be the pump, but they usually make a fair amount of noise when they're near death. Did you notice any buzzy humming or low howling noise coming from the tank area recently?
Yeah there was not humming or any out of the ordinary sound coming from anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I recently had a similar issue, which was the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). They tend to fail when hot, but work when they cool down, and rarely throw a code. If it seems to be heat related it's probably the CPS.

If not, check the fuel pump relay, you can jumper the relay or do the 'click test' (put a finger on the relay and feel if it clicks when you turn over the car). If it's not one of those, pressure test the fuel system. If the pressure is low, then it is probably the fuel pump.

You can do a preliminary fuel pressure test, which is very unreliable, by taking the fuel cap off, and have someone turn over the car and listen for a whistling/sucking sound. If you don't get one, there is no pressure being created. You could also try replacing your gas cap, if the o-ring is bad there could be a pressure issue.

Best of luck!
It happened about a mile from my house so I wouldn't think it was a heat issue. It also sat for a while before the flat bed got there and I tried it again when I got it home. Nada.

Last edited by jeeper31; 10-20-2015 at 08:27 AM.
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote