View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
zerngl

Trans won't seat

Had a similar problem installing clutch in a 2001 Boxster. Could not close half inch gap between gearbox and engine. Turns out I had replacement clutch in backwards. Visually, both sides looked the same but small print on one side stating "gearbox side". Pulled trans and clutch and there was half inch diff between the clutch facing right way and wrong way. Lesson learned. Also ended up buying a transmission jack. Adapter for floor jack sits too high and leveling controls were junk. Trans won't seat unless lined up perfectly. Follow up. Ended up buying a transmission jack (had been using a trans jack adapter on my floor jack) and still couldn't install trans. The problem was that the cross member near the back of the engine kept the jack from lifting the front of the trans. Because of where I had to place the jack, no matter how I levelled, the front would go down and the back up. Had been using an engine support bar to keep the engine up while I replaced the trans. It has a dual hook assembly. I attached the second hook via chain to the front of the transmission. Lifted it up and inch and it slide right onto the engine. What a pain, but it is done with new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and intermediate shaft bearing. Total cost of approx $800. Interesting experience on my first Porsche. More difficult to work on and requires special tools but it can be done if you are patient and take your time.

Last edited by zerngl; 10-29-2015 at 06:55 PM.
zerngl is offline   Reply With Quote