View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
AaronPDX

Hi, I just did this today and it went pretty well, thanks to all the awesome contributors who put DIY's and photos of this PITA job. I think the hardest part was removing the lower click-type hose. There just isn't enough room to get a hand on it. After working at it for a bit with a long, flat screwdriver, it popped right off. I also don't see how someone could do this just from the top. It's much easier if you reach your right arm through the hole from the rear with the car in the air. You really don't have to remove anything that way and it just seems simpler to go at it from the top and bottom.

So, I was planning on using the OTC hose clamp pliers that I ordered from Amazon, since they were supposed to arrive today. However, I got impatient and attempted it with a small Vise-grips, which worked like a charm. I was able to lock the clamp open, then remove the AOS with it attached. It helps if you unbolt the electrical connection blocking your access before trying it. Then, because I forgot to pick up the cool clamp with the blue handle at Sunset yesterday, I used the vise-grips to lock the clamp open and lowered the whole unit down into the car. It was a bit of a bear getting the new tube with the three o-rings in the engine, but eventually I got it seated. Then, I released the vise-grips and the bellows tube was in place. The pliers got delivered after I was done and I'll probably just keep them, since this car (and my wife's) has a lot of these type clamps.

Anyways, another successful repair due to the members of this forum. If you're reading this post because you're thinking about tackling this job, give it a shot. It's totally doable for a home mechanic once you're armed with the right information and tools.