View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #370
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric523 View Post
Yeah, some of the high mile motors run good after being loosened up!

There aren't very clear/good/complete rules when it comes to the rebuilds like you would find in Spec Miata or a class run by a more professional organization, unfortunately. So the term "stock spec" really covers most of your questions. At the least, we're trying to make sure everyone is using stock components.

We're supposed to be using stock Porsche pistons and rings. No aftermarket pistons/rings built to same size or anything like that. I have not seen limitations on valve jobs, other than the valves need to be stock.

Oil weight is up to the competitor/engine builder, there is no stock spec. I use 0w-50 Mobil 1 Racing oil.

You cannot legally alter the cam timing. However, I'm sure there are some that do. It is not something I've done or experimented with so I can't speak to the specific advantages.
I was reading up on the VarioCam -- as I understand it, the solenoid opens up from about 3K-5K, and is shut off above and below. If it wasn't working "properly", you would have different engine behavior. I'm not sure if that would be better or worse overall. I have to think there would be a tradeoff if it was to be engaged all the time as an example.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote