View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
jsborn

Pic! Considering 986.2 - Sat New for 18 Months

Hi all--prospective owner here with what seems like an uncommon question--nothing in search about this scenario.

Some background:
I'm relocating to the San Francisco East Bay and have decided on a 986.2 as my daily driver. It'll be fun to drive a convertible again--I daily drove an '06 MX5 for two years about a decade ago. Since 2012 I've driven an E39 M5...stellar machine, but too big and brutish for my taste and needs, particularly as I want to continue to drive 2-3 HPDE weekends/year. I recently sold it.

Now that you have a bit of background, my question:
I'm considering a local '04 Boxster S, 75k miles, with the most options I've seen on a 986. However, from the Carfax it looks like it sat, new, at a PA dealer for ~18 months with nearly no mileage: 24 miles in the first 13 months, then 87 miles by month 18, which is when it was finally titled by first owner in CA. It was first delivered in PA in 12/2003; I bet the dealer had a hard time moving a convertible in the winter, then by spring the 987s were just around the corner...not good for this uber expensively optioned 986.

986 experts: Would this give you pause? It has 75k, so it's been driven versus sitting around, but I don't have the service history--it's a dealer car. I'd much prefer a private party sale but this is local, competitively priced, and optioned exactly the way I'd like...I plan to suck it up and immediately have the car serviced with a clutch and LN dual row IMS kit.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited by jsborn; 10-17-2015 at 12:50 PM.
jsborn is offline   Reply With Quote