View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
Gilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Since I am a hobbyist/DIY mechanic and not a professional, I can't see the full investment ($3,000 incl travel) paying off for me (I might try to rebuild one M96 engine in my life).

Can I take the 101 online class without taking with the 102 hands-on class?
Hello Tom,

Please note that the cost for this class is a great deal of money for me, but my reasoning (or personal excuse) behind my decision goes something like this:

First some background about me:
I also consider myself a hobbyist and DYI, and even that I had some experience assembling a few engines, started many moons ago with old air cooled VW's, Renaults, then Fiat SOHC (X1/9) and lastly the Alfa Romeo V6 aluminum engine, however by no means I consider myself a professional mechanic...

Now my current situation:
My engine has now about 85k and my original plan was to replace it with a used 3.8 Carrera S engine (about $15k for a low mileage engine) the idea seems a good one but none the less I will end with a used engine.

The second option was to rebuilt my engine using the LN 3.8 Nickies and to ask (hire) a local consultant to help myself to assemble my engine (he also attended the M97 class, and I was planning to pay him for his knowledge and time instead of attending the class myself) but unfortunately that person was so busy, that I was not even able to explain my proposal to him.

Therefore, I believe that for around the same amount of money (ok, not exactly..), I can build myself an engine with the LN 3.8 Nickies cylinders and pistons, with forged rods and ARP hardware and end up with a nice rebuilt engine, and the cost of the M987 class will be somehow a safety blanket for me.

Also, another think that motivated me to take the M97 class, was the fact that I would (ok, should.. LOL) feel more secure attacking any future repairs that the engine will eventually need, like replacing the lifters, chains, the variocam actuators, etc., etc.,

Hopefully I am making the right decision, time will tell... however as you can imagine, I am pretty excited with the idea
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote