View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 03:45 AM   #13
fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
I'm using factory Porsche touch-up lacquer.

It came in a set of base coat + clear coat bottles. Not sure how practical it will be to use the clear, but the color match is good.

Leveling the touch-up blob is the hardest part that I'm working on.

I touched up several dozen chips on the front of my hood. I was initially going to try using razor blades to peel off the top part of the blob that sticks up, but there is quite a learning curve there which I didn't feel the patience to master. I remember having a car before where I did it and it worked well. But also on that car I remember "digging in" a couple times with the razor, which is NOT pretty.

So now I picked up a car pro "denim" paint leveling pad that is actually originally intended for orange peel removal. I read someone tried it for removing touch up paint blobs with good results. Looking forward to trying it. Plan on just using it with a "light touch" to try and not necessarily alter the orange peel texture too much, but just removing the mounded-up touch up paint blobs, and then using polishing compound afterward.

Although I do have a factory aero kit (fiberglass) rear lid that has some pretty bad orange peel I'm awfully tempted to try taking the car pro denim pad to.
Langka.com
2001 Boxster S: Triple Black, Sport Package, Special Chasis Rigidly Tuned, Headlight Washers, Turbo Wheels, Litronics, Full Leather, 03 Top, Sumitomo HTR ZIII, IMS/RMS, Kenwood KDC-BT562U, DEPO Tails, Cocomats, KUDA Cellphone Holder, Ultimate Cupholders, Zaino Shine

PCA-MAGNOLIA
fins is offline   Reply With Quote