View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 05:32 AM   #16
MNBoxster

@986Jim,

I totally agree with you so far as Engine Break-in is concerned. Porsche, and many performance Manufacturers pre-test the Engines anyway.

One thing about new Car break-in however is that it more often has to do with the Transmission than it does the Engine. Bearings, Baulk Rings, Synchros and the Gears, CW&P, all establish their wear patterns during this period. A Lotus Engineer once told me " You can thrash the Engine right out of the Dealer, but the Tranny really needs 500 careful miles if it is going to deliver long, trouble-free performance for the life of the Car..."

@yfei,

Personally, I think you're making waay too much of it. You're attributing every little thing to the fact that your Car has anywhere from 89 to 3 more miles on it than some of the other owners here.

Your Car may have some issues, but that is the product of manufacture and assembly rather than a few additional miles - these are Mass-Produced Cars and there will always be some variation from one to the other, some period of sorting out.

These Cars are expected to easily rack up 200k miles in their lifetimes and 89 miles is too insignificant to affect it in the least. And, realize that a Flat-six isn't going to be as Butter Smooth as say a V-12, that's the nature of the Beast. You may have experienced smoother testers, but so many variables from Ambient Temp to the actual batch of Gasoline used could be responsible for the difference that you simply cannot blame it on 80 additional miles.

You may be hearing alot of ghosts, and I wouldn't let this spoil your new car experience. Use the Warranty (that's what it's there for...) to sort out any real issues and then enjoy the Car!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote