View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Caney74
Caney74

Unhappy 986 3.2S Engine and Gearbox drop out

Hi all, looking for some advice.
I have a very sorry looking 2002 3.2S that i bought as a project, initial inspection there was suspension work, some electrical problems and the remaining items were cosmetic small hood tear and paint work so nothing too scary. The engine ran reasonably well but was overdue for a service and the paperwork suggested that it had service history,The clutch had been replaced at 65000 with the IMS bearing being inspected then and it currently has 127k on it, thinking that i had been through everything i was further inspecting the underside to ensure i hadn't missed anything to discover a small (damp oil patch on the join between the engine casing and the gearbox housing along with 2 small droplets of oil on the floor. Suspect the RMS seal or IMS bearing
So for the advice:
1: Are there any nasty hidden bits i need to watch out for when disconnecting everything ready for removal
2: I only expect to cover about 3-5000k a year, is it worth the extra expense of the LN Engineering IMS upgrade or would i be safe with the Porsche replacement part.
3: Clutch appears ok but it would be foolish not to do this at the same time, should i do the Flywheel as well.
4:I expect to have to replace the Exhaust as the bolts are all heat corroded so fear it won't come off in one piece, what is the difference in running the engine without the Cats would it need remapping if they are removed and what happens at MOT time doe they have to be refitted (real ballache every year)

looking forward to all your advice and assistance, not looking forward to the job but will have the satisfaction of having completed it myself

Thanks all in advance
Caney74 is offline   Reply With Quote