View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #79
pkp4911

70 Nova SS. 350/300HP 4SPD, 373 POSI. Worked at the local Porsche/Audi dlr so got the car for $1500.00. Forest green, black guts. Broken rear leaf spring was undiagnosed. Got it fixed and the car drove 100% better. All the guys in the shop got me out autoxing. Scrimp ed and saved every Penney to go into that car. Before a year was out, I turned it into quite the solo car. Z28 steering box, arms, air cleaner, Holley 650 GM HEI ignition, Corvette exhaust manifolds, corvair turbo mufflers, 396 coils up front with a coil lopped off to lower front end. Addco front bar, F41 rear sway off camaro, KYB gas shocks, homemade traction bars from hardware pipe and Heim joints, heated and bent the rear leafs to lower the rear. None of this would have happened had the dealership guys and Les Irwin, an iron worker from my city (Peoria) not taken an interest in seeing me develop the car. He could fab and weld anything. I had 8" Corvette rally wheels and thru another buddy's dad got a hold of ignition, metallic brake linings and used tires used in the Illinois state patrol cars. It ran strong and was a total sleeper. Alas, I wrecked it a week after graduation when I drag raced a classmate (against my better judgement) on a 2 lane country road and after the first pass (i smoked him) he cajoled me into running him back, saying he'd missed a shift in his 73 S3 Malibu 454/4spd.. We ran back to the original start and as we crested a small rise (cars lining bith sides) I was 3 car lengths in front doing a bit 120mph when i realized my unfamiliarity with the road caused me to miss the stop sign until too late. I flew about 100 feet into a corn field. Moved the entire subframe back about 6 inches on initial impact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
pkp4911 is offline   Reply With Quote