View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
Nmbrsix

986 seat upgrades?

On my most recent 700+ mile roadtrip, I learned that the standard Porsche seat used in basically everything until the 981/991 doesn't fit me any better than it did when I had my '88 944S.

It wasn't limited to just me, either--my other half, who is built night and day different than I am, was squirming around uncomfortably on the longer stretches of our trip (2-3+ hours).

One of the primary reasons I upgraded to the 986 from my heavily modded NA Miata was the potential for long-distance driving (the Miata was a miserable car for any drive lasting more than an hour due to high noise level, rough ride, and poor in-cabin airflow).

Obviously the seat issue negates this potential advantage for the 986, and has me thinking about other options. I'd also like a seat that allows me to sit lower in the car, if possible (tough thing to achieve in cars like this without bolting the seat directly to the floor, I realize--it's a common issue in the NA Miata world too).

I've tried the OEM sport seats before, but only on a test drive. Does anyone here have significant experience with them? How are they on longer drives in terms of support?

What about aftermarket options? I want something that is supportive but not confining like the OEM GT3 seats. I don't need power functions (I'd not mind losing the weight of my current power seats w/memory, actually, as long as the move fore/aft manually and recline).
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote