View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 11:38 PM   #12
crzn427

We had a noise that sounded like something loose in the rear trunk of our '04.

What I found, and was able to fix myself, was a loose strut, the one that raises the metal panel that covers the top when it is down. There is an aluminum plate on each side that rotates with the action of the top, this strut attaches to that plate with a pivot bolt that has a ball / socket type head.

The socket on the end of the strut somehow gripped the ball, and after a couple years of top operation, caused the bolt to unscrew until it fell out. As it finally came out, it must have bent over to the point that the ball popped out of the socket.

The top seemed to work OK. I stopped the action, of the top, at about half stroke so I could see down the side. Then I saw the bolt laying in the bottom of the area and the strut hanging off the back support (the connection to the structure under the panel).

I threaded the bolt back in the aluminum plate which took some care due to the last thread in the aluminum having been pulled out of shape as the bolt broke free. Once I got the bolt in and tightened, the socket on the strut snapped back in place over the ball on the bolt.

The noise went away and hasn't returned. The dealer said they had not found this on any other Boxster.
crzn427 is offline   Reply With Quote