View Single Post
Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
CDN97986

97 Boxster / Durametric communication issues

I picked up a 97 Boxster back in July, and it has had some keyless entry / power locking / interior light / alarm issues from day 1. Basically, keyless entry and interior lights do not work, and I can only get the driver side door to lock with the key. Passenger side door will not lock, and alarm does not work. To troubleshoot, I removed the driver seat to check out the alarm box (which looks pretty new / no signs of water damage BTW). I forgot to disconnect the battery when I did this, and turned the ignition on while the seat was out. Now I have the airbag light. I've had great luck with my Audis and the RossTech VAG-COM set-up, so I bought the Durametric enthusiast cable to troubleshoot my alarm issues and reset the airbag light. The Durametric can see my car when connected, but can only access the DME and alarm modules. It cannot access the airbag, instrument cluster, ABS, or climate control modules. I contacted Durametric, and they replied:

"The modules you mention, those beyond the Engine and Alarm units, are accessed diagnostically via the car's "K2" bus. The Engine and Alarm are both found on the separate "K1" bus. It is very possible that a malfunctioning airbag unit interrupts communication on the K2 bus, preventing communication with the airbag and all other units accessed via K2. You might try disconnecting the airbag unit from the car and reconnecting Durametric to try to access the other modules in the car."

I have not disconnected the airbag module yet to try this because I am surprised that it would fail just from removing the seat w/ out disconnecting the battery. I've been searching for the past couple of weeks over multiple sites and forums to see if anyone else has encountered my issue on a 986 (or 996), and did not see anything like this. So any ideas here before I start pulling out the airbag module?
CDN97986 is offline   Reply With Quote