View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
hancock1701

Magnaflow Universal Catalytic Converter

Hi guys,

So the day I fear most has come (almost). My car is taking forever for the Catalyst Readiness monitor to set, and I need it for my upcoming CA smog test. Observing the oxygen sensor voltages, I can see the bank 2 cat is very unresponsive and slowly dying.

Magnaflow has a universal catalytic convert that is CARB approved for this car. Since the second catalytic converter along the exhaust path (right before the muffler) is not monitored by the computer, since there are only two O2 sensors before and after the pre-cat that is integrated into the exhaust header. I was thinking about finding a shop that can cut that second cat out, weld the universal on in place, then make a hole for the oxygen sensor downstream of the univesrsal cat. Then both the pre-cat and the univesal cat are monitored, and hopefully that makes the computer happy enough to set the Catalyst monitor.

What do you guys think? Or am I crazy? Spending $4000 just for emission purposes on a $8000 car just doesn't make sense to me.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote