View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 03:44 AM   #7
linderpat

No matter how you store it you will want to do some things to preserve and protect it, especially if storing outdoors. The biggest worry is critters - rodents like to chew, and wires taste good to them. Your car with all of its nooks and crannies make a great winter home when sitting outside.
To protect it, I would place mothballs under it and in liberal amounts (not inside of it though - you'll never get the stink out if you do). Stuff a few up in the engine bay too. Add steel wool to the exhaust outlets in the rear - just a ball of it in each pipe to keep mice from crawling in (they won't chew through that). I would also get a decent fitting car cover, then tarp over that as you have done in previous years. The car cover will be better protection as the first layer on the paint, as I assume the tarps, no matter how well tied down, will still blow around some and cause lots of scratching and swirling of the paint. A car cover, well fitted, will reduce that issue.
Be sure to add fuel stabilant to a full tank of gas (fill with e-free if you have access to it). Over inflate the tires, apply leather and vinyl protectant to the surfaces inside the car as well as a bag or two of decassant in each footwell.
Lastly trickle charge or pull the battery and store it inside.
Do all of these things, and it won't matter where you store it.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote