View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
KevinH1990

I am changing the oil at least once per year. However, I note that while I am changing the oil more frequently than the Porsche-recommended interval of 15k miles, I am above the recommendation of 5k from the IMS experts. I also drive the car as frequently as I can and make sure I keep the revs up.

I considered installing an LN ceramic bearing when I had the clutch and flywheel replaced. At the end of my analysis, I couldn't find enough evidence to convince me that I would have a lower risk of failure in my particular car. Unfortunately, no one can predict which bearings will fail.

My mechanic confirmed that I had a dual row IMSB when he removed the transmission for the clutch replacement. According to the data I saw here: IMS 101 that bearing has an estimated failure rate of less than 1%. The data is not complete, but I think that is the best estimate I have seen from a credible source.

Since there is a chance that the replacement bearing could be installed incorrectly or fail, it just didn't seem like I would be buying that much more peace of mind by replacing the bearing in my car. I believe the part alone costs about $800 so the entire job would probably have cost $900-$1000. There are no preferred installers in my area, so I would have been a test case for the mechanic.

Maybe I'm trying to rationalize a poor decision and will regret that I did not replace it at some time in the future. If I ever need to replace the clutch again, I will consider my options again.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 09-20-2015 at 06:54 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote