View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Perfectlap

65k was where my car had no major repairs too. I'm at 100k miles now and this year I had nearly $7k in repairs.
Last year it was $6k. And probably another $7k after doing the clutch/IMS/RMS, straightening and refinishing the wheels, new tires for summer and winter, and respraying the front and rear bumpers for the third or fourth time. And I still need to replace the soft top. Lol.

Yeah...so in retrospect selling my like new looking Boxster S at 65k would have been a good idea. BUT....I sure as hell would not have done it for a Mercedes. I fail to see how that would have been an improvement by any metric. There isn't a single thing I prefer on any of Merc roadsters and convertibles. The brakes compared to the Boxsters I especially found unacceptable. HUGE downgrade. The SlK felt very heavy to me and kind of bland. It's a nice car but just not a car I could even conceive of pouring tons of money into, not that this is ever a good idea, but the point being I had an irrational connection to the characteristics of Boxster which I still consider to be a sports car that checks nearly every box. And there's just something about these newer generation of Mercs that really don't age well in my eyes. Basically anything from the 1990's forward look dated. Although I really like the new styling of the CLAs.

I would suggest trading in for a CPO Porsche or lightly used 987 or 997 base. Or maybe a CPO 3 or 1 series convertible.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-19-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote