View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
Retroman1969

Thanks guys!
That fascination with long forgotten bits of life is what keeps me going on these excursions.
It gives me a more solid and grounded view of history through the eyes of the people that were there.
In an odd coincidence, my dad, who grew up about 40 miles south of the school in the final pictures remembered the place when I showed him the pics. He said it was a bustling community called Plainview. The school was a consolidated rural school that in the 1930s and 1940s was one of the most modern and the above gymnasium was the largest in the county. His high school (Mangum High) played basketball games against Plainview. He still vividly remembers their bright yellow uniforms. Dad described how in the 1950s, there was a sudden dropping off of the population in communities like Plainview as more and more kids left to attend college and never came back.
By 1957 the school was consolidated with Willow (and later Mangum) and shut down. It has been abandoned since, now with even the nearest farm house many miles away.