View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #15
mikefocke

A claim of MAF can hide more serious problems. Brakes on only two wheels are only moderately expensive even if doing rotors and pads and fluid to do right.

Regulator not a big deal nor that expensive.

Sound like I'd want to document the maintenance history to rule out long term neglect.

Re the second: A lot would depend on what IMS bearing was used and why? There are cars were the bearing goes and a bearing is put in and the car quickly sold only to have problems as the debris from the first works its way through the engine. Quality installers won't even do the simple install. And, if it failed, one of the reasons could be tolerances that aren't quite right and it isn't unheard of for there to be double failures on those engines. OTOH, it could have been just a "doing while the clutch is done" decision.

There are lots of stray interior parts available from wrecks. That is easy. And while you are going to be paying for the paint job, as long as there is no rust that can be fixed.

When was the last major service done on each car and was it complete? Compare to the list of recommended items.

Honestly, I'd pass because of the cost of painting. You can save so much by buying the right car even if you have to pay a bit more initially.

I bought cosmetically good but a PPI showed it needing only the things that are typically needed at that mileage. Plugs, coils, belt, fluids. Plus I knew that a 4 wheel brake job was needed which made sense because the car was a daily driver in a major metro area used by a saleslady. I bought in the winter with snow on the ground, from a motivated seller and bargained hard.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote