View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
kgb64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I think it is a question of personal aptitude. I did the same thing when looking for a car. I cannot afford mechanic hourly rates and knew I would have to do as much of the work as possible. I am better at mechanical than body work. I bought a 99 with 80k, Arctic Silver with Boxster Red interior. Body was I good shape better than most I had seen but mechanicals needed help. What do YOU feel more comfortable doing? Also understand you will need a place to work on the car and tools, lots of tools!
Good Luck! and keep us posted!
Well I do all of my own wrenching on the 928, including dropping the transmission and torque tube (three different times), timing belt, etc. I don't have a lift but do have a decent arsenal of tools and some aptitude. My only hesitation is the suspicion that the car that has a number of obvious if fairly typical mechanical issues might have a lot more lurking under the surface. For the cosmetically challenged car I can either live with the cosmetics or since it's arctic silver could even find replacement panels rather than deal with paint.
kgb64 is offline   Reply With Quote