View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #10
mack73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I almost jumped on one of those years ago but posed a question about functionality to the PCA tech question and answer board on the PCA site. The answer I got is that the Boxster has an "air dam" not a spoiler. The large surface area has been engineered in to keep the car stable at speeds over 75 mph. It is doubtful that that spoiler can have the same affect, however, it would be cool if someone made one that fit on over the OEM one and maintained the "dam" part as I think it has a better look than the cheap OEM plastic piece.
OEM is actually a spoiler (also referred to as an air dam) who's job is to disrupt unfavorable air flow. This is a WING whos job is to provide downforce.

However, since this style of wing is used on the cayman, which has a similar shape, weight and weight distribution, it is conceivable that the use of the wing could be ok.

Assuming this wing actually does create downforce, the issue lies with the front/rear balance of the downforce at speed. The wing could generate more downforce than the front and cause the front end to go light.
mack73 is offline   Reply With Quote