View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
For $6k net, I'm back to low mileage, and statically at least, less likely to have to deal with a suddenly busted engine and a car up on blocks until an engine with the right price and mileage comes along, that could be months of uncertainty and no use of the car. Imagine missing your Boxster for a whole summer?!!
If I get 8 years out a $6-7K expense (including IMS swap), that math seems compelling.
I find your logic compelling, but I think you need to look at external factors such as:

1. What happens if someone runs into your car with a lower-mileage engine?
2. How can you be sure that the lower-mileage engine will be more reliable than the higher mileage engine you currently have?
3. What is the probability that some other major component of your car (e.g. the transmission) will fail?
4. What other uses will you have for the $6-7k that you are putting into this project.
5. Are you sure that you won't get tired of your 986 at some point and want a different sports car?

I perform all the maintenance on my 2000 when it is needed, do some tasteful minor upgrades and fix what breaks. But otherwise, I let sleeping dogs lie.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote