Thread: Unreasonable?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #28
RandallNeighbour

DrBurton, while I wholeheartedly agree that a Boxster should be driven often and hard, my box is a third car and I do not use it as a commuter car for these reasons:

1. Boxsters are not nearly as safe as my passenger cars. A side impact or a rear impact by a much larger, heavier vehicle would send me airborne I bet. And in Houston, getting plowed into by an illegal alien without a license or insurance, or a housewife or business man on a cell phone not watching what they're doing is a real, nearly guaranteed threat!

2. Wet days are a big problem for me and my boxster. 90% of my concerns surround other drivers hitting me because they refuse to slow down and drive cautiously when water sits on top of hot pavement laden with oil and grease. The other 10% is me not being careful enough while going around corners in the city where the roads are really slick and the back end sliding out from under me from time to time... even with brand new tires on the box.

3. My last concern is maintenance. While my boxster is now a very dependable vehicle (couldn't say that a year ago, that's for sure!) I don't want the accelerated maintenance I know I will incur by driving it every day. Suspension parts wear, tires seem to discintegrate before my eyes regardless of how carefully I drive, and idiots who have 400 pound doors and know how to use them to ding my car seem to be everywhere. Then there's oil changes, etc.

One last thought for you to talk over with your better half... I'm willing to bet you bought "weekend" insurance on the box like I did, right? Call your insurance company and ask them what the rate would be if you move it to a daily driver status and talk over the increase in premiums with your wife to make an educated decision.

Or, start saying prayers and asking God to turn your wife into one with my wife's mindset on the Porsche in the stable. She's petrofied to drive the car, and doesn't like me taking it out on foul-weather days for the aforementioned reasons!

Hope this helps.

Worst case scenario: She puts a ton of miles on it, it gets wrecked, and you get a newer better one sooner than later!