View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #7
LAP1DOUG

Thanks for the props guys, I just wish I could have been a bit faster to defend the 986S honors, but he was just too fast. I had my car dynoed about a year ago at about 234 Hp at the wheels, so it was a bit of a knife to a gun fight.

Steve - as far as gear selection, I have tried using 4th in Turn 1, but I just couldn't carry enough speed to keep it in the powerband for climbing the hill up to Turn 2. That said it is not a bad strategy to keep it in 4th there to save some wear and tear on the engine.

Either way, I would definitely suggest using 3rd gear for Turn 2. I hold 3rd all the way through 5, but it is near red line and almost on the limiter at the dip before 5. One possible option is to short shift to 4th at Turn 3 where the downhill section does not require maximum torque. You have to be a bit careful doing that so that you don't unload the rear tires too much while turning.

I have never tried Turn 7 in 3rd gear. The only way I can keep it on the cam in Turn 7 is to be in 2nd gear. You want maximum acceleration onto the long straight, but be careful if you have not done it before, as I have seen some cars power oversteer and crash up against the wall on driver's right coming out of 7.

Coming out from under the bridge, like you, I short shift into 4th on the downhill run going into Turn 12, but I have never used 5th on the front straight.

Road Atlanta is still a bit of an intimidating track where some caution is needed, but it's not nearly as crazy as the old days before they added the chicane at 10A & B. In those days the braking zone from the long straight was going uphill to the bridge. Braking was excellent on the uphill side, but if you didn't have your braking finished by the crest of the hill, you would spin like a top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Cool video and you hung with the GT4, 385HP vs 250'ish (when new) Boxster S? Very impressive!

I am going to be watching this video again before I go to Road Atlanta in November, my shifting is like this (2000 Boxster S)

I go into turn 1 in 4th gear and leave it there until turn 5 when I go into third. If I was feeling brave I may go back into 4th for the esses (although I never got to any speed that needed 4th) and back to 3rd for turn 5 and then back to 4th on the way to turn 6. Back to 3rd for turn 6, and I leave it in 3rd through 7, then up through 5th until 10a when it is back to 3rd, then to 4th under the bridge and to 5th on the front straight.

That one time I have been to Road Atlanta it was my 4th ever track day.

I noticed you went to 3rd through turn 1, that probably helped you get up the hill a lot better than 4th. I also noticed you went down to 2nd for turn 7 which I guess helps you get a good pull at the start of the back straight. I tried that once or twice but my heel toe was not there and I think it slowed me down. I will give those a try.

Thanks for sharing the video!

Steve

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote