View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 06:32 AM   #10
MNBoxster

@MikeOH,

There certainly can be a Candy *ss Factor which comes into play at Track, Auto-X or DE events. But, in my experience, this is often self-imposed. I respect anyone's opinion to go out or not. They know their skill level and their Car. This is especially true with marginal, or less than ideal, Track conditions.

Cost can also add pressure. But, think about it, waste $300 for a Track Day, or $25k+ because you pushed too hard. Not too tough to come to the right answer.

As far as the Instructor(s) pushing you, a good Instructor won't do this. People rarely learn anything in a state of panic.

You are the one controlling the WOW Pedal. If it doesn't feel right to you, you need to make the decision to back-off despite what anyone says. An alternative would be to swap seats with the Instructor and watch them as they push the car harder, at least then you'll know the car can handle it and this eases the tension quite a bit.

The risk of being called a Candy *ss pales in comparison to the feeling one gets when they watch their Car being peeled off the wall or towed into Pit Lane.

Certainly, one can feel the pressure you describe, but you need to resist it as best as you can and only do what you feel comfortable doing, particularly as I said, in marginal conditions. Realize that everyone standing at the Track was also at the Bottom of the Learning Curve at one time too, even though many of them may have forgotten this...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-16-2006 at 11:07 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote