Thread: Cayman RS
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
MNBoxster

Hi,

I didn't see that article per se, but have seen a similar one. Lots of speculation, so we'll see.

The one thing about all such articles is their proposition that Porsche must keep Gelding both the Boxster and the Cayman if it is their intention to keep the 911 at the Top of the Food Chain. Something which I for one don't necessarily take for granted.

Perhaps we are in a period where Porsche is gently nudging the 911 aside. I suspect that if this is true, they have a very long-term plan to make these models more attractive over time and so incrementally garner more of the 911 Market Share. Once a Critical Mass is reached, they discontinue the 911 line. This might take a decade or more.

Such a strategy would make sense in that it doesn't immediately cut-off what for Porsche, has become an annuity. All the while building strength in these other Models. It stands to reason that the 911 cannot go on indefinitely and retain it's position by continually massaging a 40 year old design. And, it's poor business practice to have all of own's eggs in a single basket...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-15-2006 at 07:12 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote