View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
BYprodriver

Garage
When the Boxster S was introduced I had just started my job as a new car test driver. I drove most of the new cars available & the main thing I remember is, after driving a Porsche, be aware the next vehicles brakes will seem inadequate by comparison. Quit that job 2.5 years later due to a management change, so I had to dig my 1967 Firebird 400 with drum brakes out of storage & learn to drive it again in LA traffic. I missed driving the Porsche's so sold my Firebird & bought my Box S on E-bay. Fast Forward to the 1st of this month, Bought a 2015 Lexus GS F-Sport off E-bay for $20K off MSRP! It had been wrecked with 60 miles on ODO & repaired with salvage/rebuilt title. Drove up to Sacramento to check it over & drive back. It has a 12.3" wide screen "media center" with mouse mounted on console, electric power steering, huge 2-piece front brake rotors, 8-speed auto trans, 19" wheels, 4-wheel steering, HUD, I can't remember all the gadgets.
Handles very nice, especially turning radius, but you can't feel anything, particularly in "ECO" mode that slows throttle opening & gear shifts. The worst is that big screen, so distracting, finally learned how to turn it off. It reads text messages aloud. Wife loves it though.
Recently departed automotive journalist & race driver of note, Denise Mcluggage wrote a article in AutoWeek entitled "Drive what you're in". It was about all the different press cars she drove & being mindful of what you are driving at the moment.