View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
Ronzi

The tentative plan is something like Chicago -> Omaha -> Denver -> Las Vegas over three days. Then we're going to stay on the coast two weeks driving Las Vegas -> LA -> SF. And finally, the idea is to go SF -> Salt Lake City -> Cheyenne -> Omaha -> Chicago

Looks like you have tentatively planned I80/I76 from Omaha to Denver. Not much to see along there unless you detour through the Neb. Sandhills (Ogalalla, Neb., to Valentine, SD, then I90 through the Black Hills (Mt. Rushmore) and south to Denver. Then I70 w. through the mtns (very scenic) with extraordinary scenery in the canyonlands in Utah, then I15 south to St. George Utah through the Virgin River canyon to Vegas.
From the mouth of the Virgin River canyon to Los Angeles, be prepared for the most pathetic scenery in the US. Dirt and cactus all the way with some neon in Las Vegas. Once you have had your wallet vacuumed out in Vegas, there is nothing to see except the World's Tallest Thermometer in Baker, CA, until you reach the Pacific.
As suggested, Hwy 1 north along the coast is one of the premier drives in the US, although I wouldn't necessarily detour from LA to San Diego to do that part of it. The most scenic part, IMHO, is from Santa Monica to Monterey. Allow pretty much a whole day to do it, as although it's only what, 190 miles or so, it takes forever because unless you do it at 3am you'll be lucky to average more that 35mph the whole way. Beautiful, but slow. Definately take the 18 Mile Drive ($8.00) through the Pebble Beach area between Carmel and Monterey. You will easily see why the rich folks live there.
On the way back from SF to Salt Lake on I80, the highlights will be the mtns around Tahoe/Reno, and the Salt Flats west of Salt Lake City. That is something to experience, flat as a tiled floor and I80 straight as a string as far as you can see. Something like 25 miles, as I recall.
Side trips such as those suggested by Pete are available all along the way. You will have a great time, and the Box is great to do it in, although I'd be interested in knowing what you think of the seats by the time you're done.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote