Thread: Under the Knife
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
jakeru

Sounds like your box is going to be pretty sweet when the suspension is rebuilt. When I bought my '01 base a few months ago (with standard suspension, not the M030) I was very disappointed with the handling, for what I expected the Porsche Boxster to do. (I do have autocross racing background, so have certain, maybe high expectations ). The suspension was quite floppy and got very easily unsettled when say, trying to shift in the middle of a corner or doing any input that wasn't ever so gentle and slow. Rebuilding the front suspension made a huge improvement! Can drive the car the way I expect a Porsche to be driven now.

Unfortunately the rear shocks I had ready to installed turned out to be defective (I noticed before I installed them, luckily), so I have more rear suspension work in my future. (I now have new GOOD rear shocks - complete with shock dyno plots to prove it - ready to go, as well as new trailing arms on order, to hopefully deal with a similar rear suspension noise issue you're talking about in this thread) and need to order a few more small bits like CV joint bolts before I tackle that job.

I have heard of tru-line (are they the shop with frame straightening capabilities?). But haven't actually been there. Same with Omni. As a member of the local racing community, Fordahl motorsports (used to be in east side, but I understand they moved to Seattle near SPU now) comes to mind as being surely competent in working with lots of Porsches and especially Porsche alignments. On the Eastside, have been also impressed looking at facilities of Cantrell motorsports (plenty of high end cars in there). I tend to prefer doing my own wrenching if I can justify it. I used the local firestore to get my alignment, as they had a pretty economical "lifetime alignment" I can use as I do more the rear suspension work. (And maybe if I start autocrossing this car, I'll want to play with the alignment some.)

I plan on daily driving my boxster even through the winter time. It's my first Porsche, first convertible and am already having lots of fun with it. Best of luck with the tru-line work, and hope you enjoy the car lots afterward!

Last edited by jakeru; 08-20-2015 at 05:36 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote