View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
My_Name_is_Dan

A Boxster Test Drive - An Adventure in Idiocy

I found a two owner 2001 5 speed, with 46K miles last week via AutoTrader. It was 3 hours from me, so I called the owner and inquired. He had owned it since 2004 and rarely drove it. He had the clutch replaced and I asked why and he indicated he was trying to teach his daughter to drive a stick - and it didn't go so well. I asked for detailed pictures and it looked really well kept. It was Zanzibar Red with a black leather interior with Liltronic headlights and full leather package. Got all the option codes and he sent me the latest car fax. I asked about the tires and he said they were new.

After looking at the pictures, I felt good enough to make the 3 hour drive to check it out. I had called ahead and located a German auto shop that could do a PPI should I find this is the one I wanted. I was all set..

Or so I thought...

It was a horrible drive. The rain was pounding and intense this morning and it didn't quit until maybe 20 minutes before I arrived at my destination. I was worn out by the time I got there.

The car was sitting in the garage with a cover over it. He pulled the cover off and I was standing there looking at what I perceived was a tomato - at least that is the color it looked like to me. I took my time and scanned the body carefully. It was really good. I found a couple of small dings that were almost imperceptible and would be easily remedied. The front bumper had maybe two small chips in it.

Interior is near perfect. Has the leather dash. Everything looks good. Visor doors are broken. No big deal. Convertible top opens and closes. Top is in great shape. Time to start it up. Starts up okay, but on initial start I hear a momentary lower end noise until oil pressure comes up. I put it in reverse and pull out of the garage. Clutch is not as smooth as I envisioned. Nevertheless, I back out into the sun. The car is now an orange instead of a tomato. I silently ask myself if I can live with this color.

I inspect the tires. Owner said they were new. Fronts look great, back - not so much. They're down to the wear bars in the middle of both tires. I ask about them being overinflated, but he assures me he checked it and it is within spec.

Okay, we go for a drive. Of course the sky opens up and it starts raining. Got a little wet before I get the top completely up. So, I'm driving the car and the front windshield is fogging up. I don't know the HVAC controls so I ask the owner to get the AC off defrost and direct it to the vents. He starts pushing button after button, changing temp and fan speed, pressing more buttons and can't seem to redirect the air. I'm thinking a blend door issue, so I reach over and try. I find the correct button and all is well - but I'm thinking to myself why doesn't this guy know how to operate his own car?

A few minutes later we arrive back at his place and I ask about the clutch, specifically when was it changed. It was done in 2011, about 10K miles ago. Okay, not a lot of miles in that time… I ask when did you do the last oil change. He replied… 2011. The same time the clutch was changed. He is quick to note that Porsche recommends changing oil every 15K miles. I mention to him I believe it is also recommended to change it every year, regardless of whether you hit 15K or not. He is silent.

I ask when he changed the brakes. He indicates he has never had to change the brakes. Ever (Not in the 11 years he has owned it).

I get out the car and I smell burnt oil. I pull the oil cap and the coolant cap. Nothing out of the ordinary. I pull the dipstick, wipe it off and check the oil level. It was way, way below where it needs to be. Not by a little, but by alot. I show this to him. Again he is silent.

I turn to him and tell him this car is not for me. He is quick to tell me this is a 14 year old car and I'm not buying a $60K car. I explain my reasons, that P cars need to be maintained on a regular basis, you can't just let it sit and not take care of it.

I get back in my car and come home with many lessons learned. I allowed myself to be taken in by the pretty pictures and the low mileage (the asking price was $11.9K). I failed to ask detailed questions about the maintenance history via phone and email. I don't know why I didn't do that, I've always done it in the past. In retrospect, I burned a day of leave and wasted a whole day driving. I failed miserably and it was nobody's fault except my own.

I came home and ate some cookies. I feel better now...
My_Name_is_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote