View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
My question is, can I just remove the nut at the center of the flange, and then spin and push on the shaft to check for smoothness and play of the IMSB and if removing the nut will allow me to check on the bearing, do I have to lock the cams if I am not disturbing the flange?
Doing it the way you describe, you are really not going to get an idea of how smooth or loose the bearing is as the center bolt will still be under some load with the flange cover in place unless you unload the shaft, so you may not even be able to move it after just removing the nut.

If you are not going to replace the bearing, I would do one of two things: Lock the engine and cams, remove the flange and test the bearing, then remove the rear seal from the bearing so it can lubricate and put the car back together; or just leave it alone as it is.

To find out what kind of condition the bearing is in, you are going to be 95% of the way to replacing it, so you really need to think through what you want to do here. You really don't want to be kicking your self two months from now about not having replaced the bearing when you had the chance.