View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
Burg Boxster

+2 for using dry

As for your other questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
-The Motive fill tube had some air bubbles in it for the entire process, I read that it is normal. Is that correct?
Yes, for most part correct. When used dry it's just one big air bubble.

Quote:
-The valves bled very, very slowly. I read to not open the bleed valves more than 1/4 turn, should I have opened the valves more?
1/4 to 1/2 is sufficient

Quote:
-The air bubbles I saw escaping where very tiny, is that normal? I was expecting more like pockets of air between the fluid.
Depending on usage for vehicle and time from last flush/bleed - yes normal. Most of old fluid gets expelled by caliper furthest from M/C (right rear in this case). You should 'see' less debris and bubbles as you move closer (and thus require less fluid from each as well). Just like much less fluid needs extracted from outside bleed valve versus inner.

Quote:
-I had a lot of trouble distinguishing between the new and old fluid. If I did not bleed any of the valves long enough, do I need to be concerned?
If hard to distinguish then fluid was likely in better shape than most. Again, usage dependent but min every 2 years or before each track event.

Quote:
-Is it even possible to disconnect the bleed valve tube without getting some brake fluid on the calipers? I wiped what I could, then sprayed the area with water to try and neutralize/dilute any brake fluid that was left on the calipers.
Indeed tough and dependent somewhat on length of tube used (tip to go buy a longer one at local hardware store for next time). You can usually finagle most of expelled fluid out of tube being patient for it to siphon out while holding catch container well below caliper after bleeder valve closed when disconnecting. I clean up drips w/ brake cleaner or denatured alcohol (also recommended to clean out Motive bleeder used wet; dry = none needed of course).

Aside from making sure you don't loosen bleeders too much... also do not over tighten.

Your trepidation rises from task being easier than you imagined. It's normal... especially when not simultaneously shelling out ~ $150-200 at shop for them to perform.

Congrats on job well done.