View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Motive & Brake Bleeding Questions

I just wrapped up my first brake bleed/flush. I pressured tested the system, poured 2L of ATE Super Gold into a Motive Black Label, then pumped to 15psi. I decided to avoid the hassle of removing the strainer and just pump the old fluid through the system. I began at the right rear outer bleed valve. I got about 800ml, which was likely overkill, but I wanted to make sure I got all of the old fluid out. I then got about 100-150ml from every other valve. I ultimately got about 1.5L out of the system, with about 0.5L left in the bleeder.

I am not quite sure I did everything correctly, so I am hoping for some clarification on the below questions:

-The Motive fill tube had some air bubbles in it for the entire process, I read that it is normal. Is that correct?

-The valves bled very, very slowly. I read to not open the bleed valves more than 1/4 turn, should I have opened the valves more?

-The air bubbles I saw escaping where very tiny, is that normal? I was expecting more like pockets of air between the fluid.

-I had a lot of trouble distinguishing between the new and old fluid. If I did not bleed any of the valves long enough, do I need to be concerned?

-Is it even possible to disconnect the bleed valve tube without getting some brake fluid on the calipers? I wiped what I could, then sprayed the area with water to try and neutralize/dilute any brake fluid that was left on the calipers.

Thank you so much in advance!
-Rick

Last edited by rick3000; 08-16-2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: clarity
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote