View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
RedTele58

I'm probably one of the worst offenders on the forum when it comes to these cars...

I've been driving and slowly gathering Porsche cars for the last 30+ years. My first was a '67 911 in college during the early '80s. Then a '78 924, a '87 944S, a '70 914 and a '90 944S2 cabriolet. All but the '90 944S2 cab are gone - it hides in my garage w/ 66k 2 owner miles. Along the way I gathered several $1,000 "project" cars - 3 1984 928S and a '71 914 - I still have them. 2 of the 3 928's will run and (sorta) drive, and the 914 will start with a shot of ether. 2 of the 928s and the 914 are tucked away for future restoration. One of the 928s I'm working a slow/steady restoration on.

Then my Boxster addiction hit, and hit pretty hard. I have 7. 4 1999s, a 2000 base, a 2001S and a 2002S. All are clean above average to excellent condition cars. Most have unique option packages (aero kits, different sport packages, unique colors, or are just a bad ass looking little car). I'm fortunate I have a big shop I rent for cheap to store everything and I'm able to do a fair amount of maintenance on them, but even then, it's an expensive hobby. When we talk about ~$1,500/yr for maintenance, that's a pretty realistic number.

I also have a '99 aerokit 996 in the mix and am looking for the right early Boxster to turn into a Spec racer.

Before anyone thinks that I can give mr.jonathanlada a run for his daddies money, if you add the cost of 7 early Boxsters and a 996, you'd come up with just enough money to buy a gently used 991 and have enough left over to go to the Cheesecake factory for dinner. And a gently used 991 and dinner at the Cheesecake Factory doesn't give you Baller Status...

The 986/996 cars are to me, the last of the Porsches that a regular guy can drive, work on a little, and have fun with. For me, it's a great hobby. I daily drive them, work on them, waste time here on the forum, scrounge bits and pieces off eBay, salvage yards and other places, take them to the track, and as important as anything, I've made great friends in the Porsche community that I can share fun and camaraderie with.