View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #17
Dr_P

Cool High IMSB Retrofit costs?

Hi All.
Am brand new to forum.
I recently took my 986-S model (2002) for its 30k service and my technician (retired Porsche Dealer mechanic from NY area) found some metal shavings (some, not a lot) along with one small bit of plastic and one small bit of metal in the oil (dropped lower sump pan).
I have/had read extensively on IMSB issues (here and elsewhere) and expected this at some point, but when I called the nearest dealer for a quotation, I was surprised to find they actually quoted a higher price for the LN Engineering retrofit than for a retrofit with authentic Porsche parts. Moreover, the warranty for LN is only 30-days (assuming it passes the pre-approval process), while Porsche offers 2-years and unlimited mileage. This just seemed odd to me, although a pleasant surprise. I see posts from Jack Raby, etc. everywhere, and numerous posts and links to Pelican Parts, Flat6innovations, etc., but almost nothing from anyone who has had a Porsche Authorized Dealer perform the work. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts/comments/information to share? Am I missing anything, or is this actually likely to be as good a deal as it sounds?
My local technician said everything else on my S-model looked beautiful (it's had regular oil changes every 3-4k miles since new, about once a year), and I wouldn't have known anything otherwise without his expertise (purrs like a kitten, runs like a beast), so I'm inclined to continue as planned, but just wanted to double-check my thinking, having seen nothing about Dealer servicing this item.
Thanks all,
- Dr. P
Dr_P is offline   Reply With Quote