View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
sickbananas

Thought I should finish this DIY guide by explaining my final steps to the finished product.

My first bit of explanation covers how I 'dry' fitted my clear window, after this I made my sound cut out above the cone air filter, I then cut an oversized piece of carbon fibre to cover this hole so that it overlapped the hole enough for a seal. I used 1/4 turn quick release pins with matching recepticles that I riveted onto the engine cover.

I now scuffed the engine cover with 320 grit sand paper and sprayed on some plastic primer, after is was dry I scuffed it again and sprayed my top coat with some statin black. Both primer and top coat I used a good quality spray in a can and I am satisfied with the finish. While I was at it spraying I sanded, metal primer and sprayed red the 5x oem locking pins that secure the engine cover to the body.

When the paint was nice and hard, I stuck on my 1" wide self adhesive foam sealing tape around the edge of the cut out holes for the lexan and carbon fibre cover to seal onto when secured down. The last task was to secure the lexan window down, I used some red anodized allen dome head screws. The screws along with the 1/4 turn locking pins I bought from Pro Bolt.

My engine cover was now complete. I also got the auto upholstery shop to put a piping edging on the 'back rest' carpet to just finish things off nicely as the storage compartment etc back there is non existent. Also note that all the sound insulation, foam and entire soft top in my car has been deleted, when removing all the insulation I removed the contact glue that was left behind and spray painted the completed interior around the engine bay my body color. All this adds to the effect I was trying to achieve.

Next step is some lights that light up my engine bay that would be easy on the eye.

I will post some pics of the final engine cover build steps relating to my explanation above.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote