View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentleyJava
I'm in love with the car, but I'm really concerned with the maintenance costs to be honest. I simply can't afford to take the car to Porsche every time I need the oil changed...so my questions are:

- How hard is it to do the basic stuff (oil change, air filter, brake fluid/pads) yourself?

- If I do an oil change myself, is it going to take me all day? (I'm decently mechanically inclined)

There are some other possible cars on my list, but the Boxster is top for sure. I'm wondering if it's worth the headache over a car that's a lot easier to work with because of a conventional engine layout.

Thanks a lot for your help, I've learned a lot by reading all of your posts.

-Adam
\
Hi,

With a good Mechanical inclination, most annual and mileage-specific maintenance can be performed. But, Parts are ridiculously expensive, and the Car eats Tires like the Monster Who Devoured Cleveland - plan on replacement every 3rd or 4th year, sooner if you rack up avg. mileage, then perhaps even annually.

Mid-engined Cars are a true PITA to work on. I swore I'd never buy another after my Lotus Esprit, but then I drove the Boxster and figured I was already used to the physical torture and had developed the required double-jointedness and an appropriately broad vocabulary so it's really not all that bad, about the same as the Esprit actually.

You will need a low-clearance FloorJack and some specialty Jackstands, but you'll find them to be worth their weight in Gold. Some specialty tools for the Drain Pan(s) and Filter Cannister, a set of QuickWrenches, and a good Torque Wrench are also necessary kit.

But, make no mistake, these things are spendy to own. You might try catching a Tech Day at your local PCA Chapter and see for yourself before deciding. But, should you decide to proceed, a THOROUGH $300+ PPI is a MUST to avoid buying any issues along with the Car. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote