View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 05:48 AM   #5
MNBoxster

Hi,

Jeez... it's only a Car. You're at that in-between stage which can be frustrating, and maybe you're just venting. But, wait until the Tires come in before deciding that you have a perennial issue with your Car and condemning it out-of-hand.

Not that it will make you feel any better, but I've not had any of the issues you describe with my Used '99 w/ 25k mi. now on it. I suspect that once the Tire issue is dealt with on your Car you'll be in the same boat. Did mine have teething pains? Maybe, who knows? But as the second owner, I was spared that pain and inconvenience as the PO either got it right, or kept it right.

The Boxster has become the new Standard against which all other comers are measured. I just read an article the other day which held the M3 Roadster up against the Boxster, and others comparing it against the S2000, the Solstace, MR2, even the RS4, and the Boxster came out on Top against them all. And not just in performance, but in style, Fit & Finish, Feel and Bang for the Buck!

And, of course Forums like this are essentially What's Wrong with this Car Forums, that's their inherrent nature. Personally, I don't see anyone studying these Forums and concluding that this is the Car they should buy. For all the horror stories, I'd expect to see the majority of them RUN, and perhaps that actually occurs without our knowing it.

Your analogy comparing the Boxster to High/Low Maintenance women is less appropriate than comparing a Draught Horse and a Thoroughbred. Give the Draught Horse a bale of hay, keep it outside and it'll pull a wagon all day for years whereas the Thoroughbred requires a specialty diet, receives more Healthcare than the average Kindergarten Class annually, and must be housed indoors lest it succumb to Colds, Arthritis, or Colitis. But the Thoroughbred is more highly refined than any Draught Horse and needs that extra care.

If you truly studied this and other Forums, Magazines, and the like, you had to be aware that the Boxster was no Toyota Cambry on the reliability scale. Yet, you still chose to buy it, whether for the Performance, the Bling Factor or some combination thereof. Unfortunately, a lot of people are unrealistic when it comes to Cars and often buy the wrong one for them, a Boxster isn't for everyone.

For it to fit into my needs, I had to be able to maintain my Car myself, no extra $$ for Dealers or Mechanics as I own 3 other classics which all draw down my resources. Once I was certain I could perform all but the most Major of chores myself, I decided to go ahead, but by a thin margin actually. But, I have 35 years experience with Classic or Performance cars and had a much better idea of what it took to be a long-term owner of a Boxster than some people.

I suspect that a lot of disastisfied owners never saw beyond the Car's very strong allure before taking the plunge and now they are the Poster Children for Buyer's Remorse.

My advice? Wear the pants off the Warranty and get it sorted out. Then make the choice if in fact this is the right Car for you. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-11-2006 at 05:55 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote