View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
mach schnell

what does it take to be a satisfied porsche owner?

Have been thinking a lot over the last week or so, as I continue to drive my car with a worsening vibration (new tires due in next week - unfortunately will be out of town for 2 weeks, so the new tires won't be put on until late May ), as to whether or not I’m a satisfied Porsche owner or if my expectations are too high, thus impeding my achievement of satisfaction. Let me give a brief account of my experience so far and then you guys can give me your thoughts...

First, I’ve had this car in for warranty issues more than any other car I’ve ever owned (Honda, vw, Subaru, Toyota) and I’ve only owned the box for 3 months. Between things falling off on the inside, things coming loose on the outside and my continued vibrations, I find myself sometimes choosing to drive the beetle (yeah, still have it) over the Porsche!

Second, it seems like this forum is filled with, ‘things gone wrong with my boxster’ threads. Of course, this could be the nature of such a venue – one is more prone to post the bad things about a car –seeking direction or guidance – rather than celebrating consecutive ‘problem-free’ driving days. At any rate, the constant influx of ‘problem’ threads pushes me to wonder if the boxster can really be considered a low-maintenance, reliable, daily driver, in addition to the “sports car among roadsters!”

Before I bought my boxster I heard many tales of Porsche owner’s whose cars were constantly in the shop for one thing or another. Naturally this concerned me, knowing I’d be buying a car that would have to be my everyday driver. However, I felt I conducted a fair amount of research into the reliability of the 986 and 987’s prior to making my investment.

There’s a part of me that wants to believe that any car over $30k should be both incredible and impeccable. I also want to believe that if Honda can make a car for less than $20k that provides years of hassle-free reliability, then Porsche should no doubt exceed that feat. However, my inner voice warns of making comparisons across great divides.

I guess this is my question – does owning a Porsche mean endeavoring to have the constant wonder of, ‘what is that rattle’ or ‘will it start today’ or ‘if I put the top down, will it come back up’ or ‘do I have an extra $1000 to replace this part, etc?’ To be a satisfied Porsche owner, does one have to surrender the idea that paying a lot of money for the car to begin with automatically implies a higher level of reliability? Is it better to view Porsche ownership more as a slightly tumultuous relationship between car, pocket book and piece of mind? Is Porsche the hot, but high maintenance blond trophy wife who needs a 3 hour massage and $250 makeover just to get the mail, whereas the Toyota/Honda or their luxury divisions are (or can be) the attractive, no make-up, natural beauty wife whose happy whether it’s a night at the movies or front row tix to Miss Saigon and a night cap atop the John Hancock overlooking Lake Michigan at sunset? Am I asking to have my cake and eat it too? Should I divorce the high end broad and wait to re-kindle the affair when I can afford to have a weekend mistress with her own little bank account, all the while my ‘mail-order’ Asian bride covers my entire weekday needs?
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote