View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #17
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
No not really. In the shop I work at part time (performance shop mainly for Honda Acura) many cars show up with AEM cold air intakes on them (Type-R, Civic SIR etc) and they are totally open to the elements right in the front bumper. As in rain and road splashing are hitting right on the filter and they don't have a problem.

There are such things as water injection kits that are used for tuning (a band aid job if you ask me) that injects mists of water into the intake tract to lower the air temp which helps avoid knock on high hp cars. Your engine can take in a pretty large sum of water. Only that this sum can not be more than the sum of your head CC and CC of the dish on the pistons as water does not compress.

The average head hat 70-90cc of volume and with say 10:1 pistons you will add another 40cc from the bottom end. So in theory you could suck up 130cc of water (which is a lot) before running into problems. The amount you would suck from a wet cone filter with a pretty large surface area is pretty small and nothing to worry about.

Even with the filter half submerged in water I doubt you would pick up that much. The engine probablly pulls in 250cfm of air, the filter is capable of 800cfm or more, so the filter could be half covered and still feed the engine. If the car was fully submerged it would be a problem for sure, however you would have other problems such as that big ass tornado about to suck you up...
Hi,

Normally I would basically agree with you, but not in this case. The Boxster does have a history of water entering the intake and fouling the Motor.

So much so that Porsche even put out a TSB on it - TSB 7a/97 2425 - Water in Air Cleaner Housing.

In it they state:"Condition: Engine misfires during driving, rough running, poor starting.

Water can enter the air cleaner housing via the air guide when
the vehicle is driven in unfavorable weather conditions, e.g. during
rainstorms.

This can cause engine misfires and rough running and possible water-locking of the engine.

These problems do not necessarily occur during these weather conditions; they could show up later on. Please ask the customer if the vehicle was driven in these weather conditions

They also include a MOD to the existing AirBox which includes:
  • 1. A gasket between the outer left air guide and the body
    seals out water.
    2. A deflector is fitted on the air cleaner intake opening, and a water separator bowl is fitted on the air cleaner housing.
    3. The formerly used water shield support in the flow duct has been omitted.

They price this using 130 TU (Time Units - minutes) for the MOD. The interesting thing is that by de-snorkeling you would actually decrease the possibility of this happening because there is no direct path for the water to follow to the Air Filter and beyond... Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote