View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
jakeru

For cleaning my 2001 Boxster's grey leather seats and black leather steering wheel and shift knob, I got rather lackluster results using Lexol cleaner. Even with lots of agitation with a stiff plastic bristle brush and lots of dwell time and elbow grease and repeated applications, it wouldn't totally clean the leather.

In contrast, I had much better results using Optimum Power Clean (a pro detailer all-purpose cleaner) diluted with water at 3:1 ratio for cleaning the boxster's leather. It left the seats very clean looking using just a microfiber towel and very little, gentle agitation. It practically melted away the tough stains that Lexol would basically not touch! At first I thought there might be a problem cleaning my steering wheel as it left a matte/dull finish behind, and nasty black stuff was coming up on the towel. But I think that's just because it was doing its job getting that filthy steering wheel clean! A I think I need to take another pass at it as there are some areas of the steering wheel that are I think still too shiney to be truly clean. It was crazy how dirty that thing was!

I've read that leather conditioners are for aniline and semi-aniline leathers only - not good for the urethane coated leather (something about the oils can cause the urethane coating to delaminate from the leather more quickly). But it seems there are some conflicting views on that.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote