View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #15
986Jim

No not really. In the shop I work at part time (performance shop mainly for Honda Acura) many cars show up with AEM cold air intakes on them (Type-R, Civic SIR etc) and they are totally open to the elements right in the front bumper. As in rain and road splashing are hitting right on the filter and they don't have a problem.

There are such things as water injection kits that are used for tuning (a band aid job if you ask me) that injects mists of water into the intake tract to lower the air temp which helps avoid knock on high hp cars. Your engine can take in a pretty large sum of water. Only that this sum can not be more than the sum of your head CC and CC of the dish on the pistons as water does not compress.

The average head hat 70-90cc of volume and with say 10:1 pistons you will add another 40cc from the bottom end. So in theory you could suck up 130cc of water (which is a lot) before running into problems. The amount you would suck from a wet cone filter with a pretty large surface area is pretty small and nothing to worry about.

Even with the filter half submerged in water I doubt you would pick up that much. The engine probablly pulls in 250cfm of air, the filter is capable of 800cfm or more, so the filter could be half covered and still feed the engine. If the car was fully submerged it would be a problem for sure, however you would have other problems such as that big ass tornado about to suck you up...
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote