View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
mach schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
I don't know how you could conclude this to be the case in a "straight run" between a S and non-S. Given the 40hp difference and the close ratio six speed of the S it would walk a non S easily. You would have to be up against a really poor driver who cannot shift to make this a reality.
come on carl - first off - is the S an auto or a 6 spd? if auto, vs non-S 5 or 6 spd - no chance - S loses! If the non-S has the short shifter (OEM or aftermarket) - further destruction of the S!

next, look at the specs between S and non-S with manual transmissions. those are best condition numbers and they're barely different - especially up through 62km/h. furthermore - 40 hp is not that much (granted, coupled with increased torque - you have something). but, if you're gonna boil every race simply down to which car has more horsepower then why bother lining up - just get a bunch of math geeks together and let them nerd it out over a couple cases of rootbeer!

i've seen and/or participated in a number of lil side-by-side scrimmages where the vehicle with lesser horsepower took the cake! (can remember my friend's 4 spd reliant in high school that left a shocked look on some dumbass in a mid 60's chevelle.)

point of my rant, for the extra money that one spends on an S - essentially for a few more hp and torque and dual buttholes - you really don't get much. hmmm, maybe this way - if you're buying the car for sheer power - either in a straight line or through the curves - then the money is better directed to something like a cayman. if you're buying the car for the roadster appeal and oh, by the way, it's got power and handling to die for, then the money is better spent on the non-S.
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote