View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
RMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooster View Post
I can't quite follow the motivation for doing this. If you are just leaving the roof down all the time, the wear and tear should be pretty minimal. And at least then you do have the roof if caught out in a sudden rain, or when you want to lock the car up outside.
The car , a 2000 Boxster S has never seen rain or the threat of it in 16 years and 25,000 total miles and I have not driven the car once with the top up in years .....I dont live in an area that gets pop up thunder storms out of nowhere like you have .

I have already lightened the car by 109 lbs and this would take off another easy 50 lbs...plus since I weigh only 120 lbs ...the drive will feel even nimbler

In worst case scenario, I have a severe weather car cover but have never unwrapped it.

I have not driven it anywhere except to stop for lunch in a remote scenic destination where my eye is on it , for years, so it has never been locked with the top put up..just windows up and the red clip in place to activate motion...but the interior is stripped of any items in door pockets or console , has front console delete , no speakers or radio, no screens or rear shelf, etc...so there is nothing to even " grab and run " ! It hasnt even been driven at night so the xenon bulbs are like new , lol.

Will remove AC soon...another 40 lbs, as I have only turned that on once a year the past 15 years to keep the compressor from seizing up ...no need for it here where I live when avg summer temp is 75-80 and no humidity and zero commute style stop and go driving ... It is mostly used to zip winding coastal roads between my home and the Pacific Coast minutes away

I have 5 cars ...this is just an OCD " cleverness " project to please no one but myself , as this is the last new " analog " sports car I will ever be able to buy ... It has e -throttle and ABS ..that's it ...the rest is up to me .

The car looks newer than new per the same sales guy who sold it to me way back when . I have much newer " heavy " digital sports cars full of computer chips managing scores of " driving hero " solenoids etc in the garage that come and go.

Last edited by RMD; 07-25-2015 at 09:06 AM.
RMD is offline   Reply With Quote