Thread: 24 bent valves
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
Brett 986

Garage
24 bent valves

Hi all
I purchased a boxter 6 months ago. 2001 model 4 previous owners all women with 23,000 km on the clock and original tyres.
I replaced the IMS Bearing immediately and all was good having fun using as my daily drive and put 7000km on clock.
I went to start the car 3 weeks ago and the engine turned over, fired but didn't start. I tried again to start the engine and the engine turned over but sounded like all spark plugs were out.
I took it to a recommended Porsche mechanic, same guys that did the IMS Bearing.
After a few diagnosis and ensuing work path the engine sits on the floor and we have determined I have 24 bent valves.
They have only just touched the Pistons, you can see where they touched but no damage to the Pistons.
Non of the original diagnosis played out, and we can see damage but I still don't know why.
The thinking at this point is that the cause is to do with hydraulic cam system.
I am just learning about these engines, I am a boatbuilder and have a general knowledge of engines but I am reluctant be putting the engine back in the car without a smoking gun diagnosis.

Has anyone had this problem
Has anyone have a thought on what the failure might be.
I have seen that these engines do have some, should I be replacing anything else in the engine while it is on the floor

My first post on any forum so please excuse if I have made errors
Cheers Brett
Brett 986 is offline   Reply With Quote