View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
KevinH1990

Odometer Rolled Back On a Used Car

My brother bought a used Honda Accord for his son on Saturday. The seller contacted him today and offered to buy the car back. Apparently the seller had been contacted by the Virginia DMV and informed of an "odometer discrepancy." It sounds like the discrepancy may have been as much as 75,000 miles.

My brother is scheduled to meet with the seller at 9:30 tomorrow to get his refund in cash. However, he would also like to collect some of his other fees such as taxes and registration.

According to vehicle registration forms on the Virginia DMV web site, "Failure to complete or providing false information may result in fines and/or imprisonment. (Sections 409, 412 and 413 of the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act of 1972, Section 46.2-629 of the Code of Virginia.)"

Should my brother just take his money back and chalk this up as a lesson learned, or should he conduct the transaction at the DMV office to ensure that he has recourse in the event that something else goes awry.

Thanks for any suggestions - I'm a little out of my league on this one.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote