View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
soxfan1966

The parts I ordered arrived last week and I was able to wire things in this past weekend. I had been doing some additional research on this while waiting for the parts and came across forum posts on how to enable the side markers as blinkers - which I thought would come in handy to wire in the additional blinker wire for the DRL's that I purchased.

So, I ended up combining the two things - wiring in my new DRL's with the turn signal, as well as the side markers as turn signals.

Specific to wiring in the DRL's, I followed the same instructions I had the first time (though the relay I have that connects to the battery was already installed so I did not have to do that again, just swap out the actual DRLs).

That took care of the red and white wires for the DRLs. The additional yellow wire was to connect to the + wire from the turn signal indicator on each side. This is where the info on using the side indicator lights as turn signals came in handy. I actually had found two different posts on this topic, and each used a different approach - one had you cut the - wire on the side marker and the other had you cut the + wire on the side marker, then run a length of wire and connect this to the proper wire on each side.

I wanted the side markers to work as turn indicators both when the lights were on and when they were off (they blink alternately with the front turn signals when the lights are on, and in synch with the front turn signals when the lights are off), so I followed the instructions in the PDF below which had me cut the brown (-) wire, but then used the info in the other link to attach the piece of wire I added to the brown wire that was cut.

Here are links to the instructions I am referring to - thanks to the people who put those together:

Anti-Bling Porsche Boxster DIY's: Side Marker Turn signal LED

--- and ---
(this is a link to a PDF)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjABahUKEwjZypbV6OzGAhVEdz4KHfEmA7c&url=http%3A%2F%2Frennlist.com%2Fforums%2Fattachmen ts%2F996-forum%2F619743d1332881602-looking-for-side-light-flashing-dyi-tutorial-sidemaker_mod.pdf&ei=noquVdmDEcTu-QHxzYy4Cw&usg=AFQjCNGK2lXc10A_2HWV4R9tkKjb-bg5zA&sig2=ZFpA3LWiRX3RXFpWKjzqRQ&bvm=bv.98197061,d.cWw

Here is a pic of what my previous DRLs looked like (they were not bright enought, and one of the LED bulbs inside the passenger side was not working):

Here is one of the new ones wired in (note the yellow wire in the frunk, this was not attached yet):

For the DRL turn signal, I connected the yellow wire from the driver side (right if facing the front of the car) to the BLACK/GREEN wire at the headlight connector inside the opening where I removed the headlight (you can see it in the picture above - it appears orange and blue in the picture - using a wire connector, the kind you insert the wire in and crimp down to push the metal piece into the wire). I then started the car and made sure the DRL functioned with the rear turn signal (it alternated between white and yellow) which it did.

** Good idea to verify that all your turn signal, side marker lights, etc are functioning correctly before starting this **

** Remove the side markers per your manual **

I then wired in the driver side (right if facing front) side marker by:
- cutting the brown wire a few inches from the connector
- terminate the brown wire that you just cut (the end not connected to the connector)
- connect a piece of wire, a few feet or so, to the brown wire on the connector ( I used a butt connector for this).
- connect the end of the wire that you just added to the brown wire on the connector to the same BLACK/GREEN wire you connected the front DRL yellow wire to (I did this again up at the headlight plug) using a crimp on connector (just as I did for the yellow wire here)

I then started the car again and verified that the side marker worked with the lights on, and also when the left turn signal was engaged. I turned the car off and re-installed the headlight on that side. I started the car and then verified that the DRL worked (white) when the car was running, the side marker came on when the headlights were turned on, and the front turn signal, DRL and side marker (as well as rear turn signal) all worked when the left turn signal was engaged.
NOTE: When testing the turn signals while the headlight is removed you will get the rapid blink, this goes away and the blink is normal rate when testing with the headlight reinstalled.

NOTE 2: Even though I verified that the lights were all working (with the assistance of my wife) before starting this, one of the side marker lights burned out while I was doing this. That lead to some frustration as I assumed I had wired something wrong and spent/wasted some time redoing it. I then smartened up and used the bulb from the other side (I had not started that yet) and it worked correctly. So a good idea to have a few extra bulbs around if you chose to do this to protect your sanity.

For the other side, everything was the same with the exception of the wire at the headlight connector to connect the yellow DRL wire (and the wire you add to the side marker) to. On the passenger side (left if facing the car) this is a BLACK/WHITE wire (the smaller black/white wire, as noted in the referenced PDF).

Here is a picture of both new DRL's on:

Here is a video of the whole thing in operation:
https://youtu.be/NxHWCWG2xTw
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote