View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #46
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post

If I had it all to do over again I would have saved a lot more and just bought a 3 year old 2003 S(what I really wanted) with some extended warranty on it and I would have spent a lot less money.

All in, my 1997 Boxster (purchased in 2003) has cost me $45,000 including purchase, maintenance, repairs, and mods.
Randall, I think if you had purchased that 03 986S you would have had fewer repairs in the short term but if you had kept that car as long as you've had your current '97, you would have likely spent another pile of money anyway. Put it this way, had you bought a 996 C4 and laid out $50K, after more than 8 years you'd be $70-80k in the car total.
Had you bought a Cayman S for $40k, after 8 years you'd be $60K into the car with repairs and mods. However high you choose to go in up front, is just how much higher you'll be into the car. And if you buy a slightly used car that won't need long-term care you'll be eating depreciation for the same $10K-$30K. I favor avoiding the depreciation because that's a lot more certain than the repairs.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote